Friday, November 5, 2010

Traveling Journal



You may have heard of the story about the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants... one day after spending an afternoon creating with my mom in her studio, I realized how much I enjoyed those days with her and how could we create every month when we lived so far from each other... miles and miles.

I thought, why not start a traveling journal. There are no rules with our first journal; it was whatever we wanted to put into it. Maybe a different technique, product, image, or color, it was liberating just to not worry about if I was doing it right or wrong.

And it was like getting a present every time I received the book in the mail for my turn at creating some new pages. I love looking at the new ideas my mom shared and seeing the old ones that we had done previous months.

Here is another page from our journal.....



Next year 2011, we chose the theme traveling; the places we want to explore, visit, or live.
We already have the paper and beads picked out for the journal cover and binding.
I was so excited to get it started that I moved up our 2010 journal by gluing some its blank pages together ... LOL.
HOW DID THEY DO THAT
Mixed Medium Page:
I started by selecting coordinated colors in paper, pastels, ribbons, and bead embellishments. The pastels were used to distress the edges of sheet music and lace doilies. I also used the doilies and pastels to create texture on the background (white pages). The light blue paper was run through my mom's Cuttlebug to make "Swiss Dots". The brown circles are from Sees Candy wrappers. I love Somerset Studio and you get free pages of paper with their books; some of those pages were included. The lace is recycled from a fabric bag I cut apart.~pamela
Oriental Page:
I love the Pagoda Cricut cartridge. Doing this page in our journal allowed me to try a bit of creativity with this cartridge. I wanted an oriental scene and in this case it had to span two pages. I also used Hero Art stamps and Tim Holtz Distressed Inks, love Tim's Inks. DH gave me a number of suggestions on the trees and bridge having a 3D effect. ~shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment